Virgil wrote many different types of publications in his days. He wrote long poems(epics), short poems, and Eclogues.Major Works
Some of his works include:
- The Aeneid- Virgil devoted his last ten years to the composition of the Aeneid, a mythological epic in 12 books describing the seven-year wanderings of the hero Aeneas from the fall of Troy to his military victory in Italy.
- The Georgics- or Art of Husbandry, a poem in four books on the life of the farmer
- Short Poems:
- The Appendix Vergiliana- a collection of minor poems, was attributed in antiquity to Virgil
- The Catalepton- or Poems in a Trifling Vein
- The Aetna- is generally dated in the 1st century AD.
- The Ten Eclogues- pastoral poems modeled on the Idylls of Alexandrian poet Theocritus
This is a map of the Greek and Roman States in the time of the Aeneid
Check out Virgil's Major Works
Back to Authors Page
Back to Enloe